Monday, March 25, 2013

Ostara 2013

It's been a busy couple of weekends and the next couple are just as jam-packed.  Not to worry, though, I'm taking my vitamins and trying to stay rested in between goings-on.

On the 16th, Hallowed Oaks Grove held its Ostara/Spring Equinox open rite.  This is one of my favorite high days along with the autumn equinox.  There's something about the clear change of seasons that really sets me aglow.  This year was no different.  Spring has been a little reluctant this year, and the weather has been erratic -- one week warm and sunny, the next temps near or below freezing and stormy.  But Saturday was beautiful, just warm enough with some sun.  We had an egg hunt for the children before the actual rite began, which also allowed for any stragglers to arrive.  At the given ritual time (we actually started on schedule!), everyone gathered on or in front of the porch for the pre-ritual briefing and the procession to the fire ring.  I didn't manage a head count at that time, but going back later, I counted 28 people standing in ritual.  I think that's the largest attendance I've seen in the 3 years we've been holding rites on this property.  The rite went pretty smoothly; any bumps went unnoticed in the flow of energy (you'd think after 6 years, I'd know The Portal Song all the way through).  Our sacrifice to Eostre was well received -- a basket full of sweets, seeds, and flowers eagerly consumed in the sacred fire.  The omen was both positive and cautionary -- wunjo, thurisaz, and nauthiz, which was interpreted as a successful community needs to stand together to protect and support its members; basically, together we are stronger than we are as individuals and none of us need fight alone.  Later, in some cases a few days later, some of the participants told me they had seen entities/Beings watching the rite or had felt strong energy in the circle, nothing threatening though.  That says successful rite to me.  The potluck feast following was a grand fellowship as always with such a marvelous quantity and variety of food.  The people who attend the High Day rites with us at Hallowed Oaks Grove really are what make them such festive and spiritually satisfying events.

Then I got a break -- nothing pretty much from Sunday the 17th through Thursday the 21st except helping a friend sort stones at his new business Dragon Kissed.

Then came Friday the 22nd.  Friends had asked me to officiate their wedding.  Such an honor!  Just between us, this was my first.  But I certainly didn't let that stop me!  The rehearsal was Friday afternoon at a lovely park in Blount County filled with gorgeous overlooks and boulders, truly an inspirational setting.  I went through the ceremony outline the couple had written with them, and the walk-through  allowed us to tweak a spot or two.  The rehearsal dinner was delicious too -- barbecue and baked beans and chips; there was also pie around but I was too full to eat any, though the aroma certainly tempted me mercilessly..

Saturday the 23rd was the Big Day for my friends (and me).  It started out wet and chilly -- so different from the weekend prior -- but the rain ended early in the morning, long before time for the ceremony.  Nerves were stretched tight among the wedding party, and there were a couple of glitches, though nothing devastating.  I managed not to cry and ruin my mascara during the ceremony.  I did choke up a couple of times which was a good cover for looking at my cheat sheets.  Everything worked out, even if not exactly as scripted, and it was beautiful.  The bride, the groom, their families, and the joy in their faces made any minor bump just that -- a bump that barely registered.  Congratulations, Shannon and Berwin!

The very next day, Sunday the 24th, the local metaphysical store, Books, Beans & Candles, held their Ostara ritual.  My husband and I offered our yard and fire ring as ritual space again as we did last year.  I encourage this practice; it means this social butterfly gets to see more people more often!  This ritual was very different than one I led for Hallowed Oaks the last weekend.  Rather than ADF COoR, it was an eclectic rite with Wiccan elements including casting a circle and calling the elements/quarters.  Even though there was approximately the same number of people standing in ritual as the Hallowed Oaks rite, the energy was far more concentrated with plenty of power raised to fuel our personal workings and to tap into the renewing spirit of spring.  This group ritual is always lighthearted and fun with bright colors on the altars and flowers, all the way down to sacrificing a chocolate bunny to ensure fertility in our lives and our lands.  There was a potluck feast after this ritual as well.  Again, it was plentiful and varied, and I ate myself silly...again...as always.

So, yes, today, Monday the 25th, I am a little tired.  I've spent a lot of metaphysical energy lately, joyously and to great benefit, but still it was a chunk.  Now, I will replenish and get set for the next two weekends with a wonderful Easter lunch with my mother and sisters on Sunday the 31st and a 3-day camping trip to Georgia and Hawkfest the weekend after that.  Then I have 2 free weekends before Beltaine!  I'm gonna be so bored!


No comments:

Post a Comment